21.8.09

Domestic violence

I see in the news today that at last the onus will no longer be on the woman to bring a charge in the case of domestic abuse. Until I started researching my book Trapped, I hadn't realised how little the law had changed since I was suffering from this problem in my first marriage back in the early sixties. That the police would readily issue a charge of assault against a yob in the street, but not against a woman's partner in a domestic situation unless she made the charge, was entirely wrong. Now that they can use a restraining order more easily, we have at last taken a step in the right direction, although its effectiveness will depend on how willing they are to do so. Let us hope more effective action will be taken to protect women. It is not before time.

No comments:

Post a Comment