18.9.15

The Glamour of Being a Writer

It always defeats me how anyone can imagine writing to be a glamorous profession. I spend six to eight hours a day at the computer, sometimes longer when a deadline looms, five or even six days a week. I take far too little exercise and miss out on sunny days, even when in Spain. And generally wear my scruffiest, most comfortable clothes while working, so don’t look in the least bit glamoroous.


When called upon to do a talk I get to put on a business suit. Could that be considered glamorous? The event is often somewhere difficult to park and I struggle with my box of books, and I end up looking slightly harassed by the time I arrive. Or else it’s out on some distant hillside miles from the village it’s supposed to serve and my shoes are muddied by the time I get there. However, it’s always pleasing if the audience enjoy the talk and laugh at my anecdotes. Can that lady on the back row hear? Oh, she’s asleep, so that’s all right.

Is there glamour perhaps in playing at being a media star? In this, one is either interviewed live on the telephone, which is daunting but at least the interviewer doesn’t realise you’re wearing your slippers. Or else you get to go into a studio which is generally over-stuffy and rather shabby and you’ve got ten minutes at most in which to tell your life story, say what the book is about, why you wrote it and one or two funny anecdotes to fix it in the listener’s mind between the weather and the travel news.

Television is worse. The crew, usually one interviewer and a cameraman, spend hours in your house, filming you turning the pages of your book, or have you walking into your study again and again so they can film you from every possible angle, or up and down the street outside, or standing in a gale of wind to answer their questions. This endless toil results in a thirty second slot, mainly comprising a close up of your hands on the keyboard and a voice-over which might be yours, saying something inane about how important it is for you to write. At least they panned in on the row of books on the shelf, or added a bit of film connected to the period of the story.

In-depth interviews with newspaper journalists allows more time, but they often probe into the darker corners of your private life which you’d much rather keep closed. On occasions they start telling me about the novel they’re working on. I’ve even been asked if I mind being classed as a writer of romance, as if that were in some way demeaning. Next comes the photographer to take scintillating pics of you - and where does he choose? In your garden beside the pretty roses? Curled up in your cosy chair reading a book? Nope, at your computer, of course, where else? Not glam at all.

Real celebrities are generally leggy, blonde and beautiful, and sit in smart restaurants in dark glasses ordering lemon tea. So maybe that’s what I’m doing wrong, since I’m none of those things, can’t stand lemon tea and never even reached five foot. 

But who needs glamour anyway, or fame and fortune? I love to write, so nothing else really matters. I’m cosy in my bunker, eyes glued to the screen, engrossed in my make believe world. And no one has come to take me away in a little yellow van yet. I chat with friends and readers on Facebook and Twitter, and I’m always humbled and thrilled when people email or message me to say how much they enjoy what I write, or tell me how a story has cheered or deeply moved them while they’ve been coping with difficult times. What more can I ask for than that? 

8 comments:

  1. I can drink the lemon tea if you can provide the sunspecs. The rest you'll just have to fictionalise - LOL! Enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. Delighted it gave you a laugh.

      Delete
  2. A friend just told me I must read The Amber Keeper and since I trust her - she has yet to steer me wrong - I will do just that. Meanwhile, enjoyed prowling around here on your blog, nice to 'meet you'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it. It does seem to be doing well. Many thanks for your comment. All the best, Freda

      Delete
  3. Had coffee with Shirley and Prue yesterday - I must tell them you've passed your 100,000 copies sold mark. Picture me at my pc in baggy clothes too!
    Jen Black

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freda, Apart from writing and dealing with writerly matters between six and eight hours a day wearing pjs or comfy old clothes, I'm also to be found working in my organic garden dressed in my disreputable, comfy old clothes. My mum, who was always immaculate would despair at the sight of me. Mind you, I do titivate before I go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, otherwise just a scrubby comfy mess having to sit for hour upon hour. I also spend time in the garden weeding and repairing dry stone walls. Does nothing for my nails. Lol.

      Delete